- About Us
- My Account
- Digital Content
- Online Resources
- Teacher Resources
Local author Christopher Craft, will be doing a talk & book signing.
Massillon Museum employee, author, and great friend of the Massillon Library, Christopher Craft, will be doing a talk on family values, and character development, as well as reading from his works. He will teach us how to develop characters in our own stories, and the importance of family in our work. After the talk there will be a book signing, a writing activity, and refreshments!
Craft will have copies of his anthology The River and the Wolf for purchase at this event.
Registration suggested, but not required.
This program is in conjunction with the Massillon Museum & Massillon Public Library 'The Big Read,' as well as Massillon Public Library's "The Time is Write."
AGE GROUP: | Teens | Children | Adults |
EVENT TYPE: | The Big Read | Creative Writing | Author Visit |
TAGS: | writing | The Big Read | local author | creative writing | Author Talks | author |
|Mon, Jun 05||10:00AM to 8:00PM|
|Tue, Jun 06||10:00AM to 8:00PM|
|Wed, Jun 07||10:00AM to 8:00PM|
|Thu, Jun 08||10:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Fri, Jun 09||10:00AM to 5:00PM|
|Sat, Jun 10||10:00AM to 5:00PM|
|Sun, Jun 11||Closed|
In 1897, local public servant and storekeeper George Harsh willed $10,000 for “public library purposes.” The funds purchased nearly 10,000 volumes for Massillon’s first public library. Also in 1897, J.W. McClymonds announced his gift of an endowment of $20,000 for a library. The Russell sisters, Flora and Annie, who married the McClymonds brothers, donated the Nahum S. Russell home, located on Prospect Street (now Fourth Street NE), in memory of their parents. The McClymonds Public Library opened on January 1, 1899, and was funded by private subscriptions and an annual disbursement of city funds. In 1922, the McClymonds Public Library became the Massillon City School District Library and was now funded by tax revenue.
In 1930, Annie Steese Baldwin willed her home “as the site for a new public library.” Built around 1835, the brick home overlooking downtown Massillon from Hill Street (now Second Street NE) was first the residence of the city’s founder, James Duncan.
The current Massillon Public Library (Main Location), located at the corner of Lincoln Way East and Second Street NE, opened in 1937. Designed by Albrecht & Wilhelm and funded in part by a Works Progress Administration grant, the Duncan/Baldwin home was connected by a Jeffersonian portico and rotunda to a west wing Reading Room and Children’s Room. The Massillon Museum was also housed at this location until 1996 when it moved to its present location at 121 Lincoln Way East.